CLIENT: ECOWAS COMMISSION
TYPE: EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
TITLE: RECRUITMENT OF A FIRM TO CARRY OUT THE STUDY ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF A REGIONAL FRAMEWORK FOR THE HARMONISATION OF FUEL GRADE AND VEHICLE EMISSION STANDARDS IN THE ECOWAS REGION
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) represented by the ECOWAS Commission intends to recruit a firm to carry out the study on the development of a regional framework for the harmonisation of fuel grade and vehicle emission standards in the ECOWAS region.
The main objective of the study is to formulate a regional framework defining the specifications on fuel quality and the vehicles emission limits in the ECOWAS region and the implementation modalities.
Specifically, the study is aimed at
• Drawing up an appraisal of the downstream oil sector and the characteristics of the vehicle fleet in the ECOWAS region and their evolution perspectives for the short and medium term;
• Identifying and evaluating the current specifications of fuel and emission standards for vehicles in the fifteen (15) ECOWAS Member States in line with AFRI specifications set up by the African Refiners Association (ARA) and international best practices;
• Conducting a comparative cost/benefit analysis relating to the adoption of AFRI specifications in the ECOWAS region;
• Proposing vehicle emission limits for application in the region;
• Preparing a harmonised regional framework that takes due account of regional concerns, and proposing an action plan and implementation strategies;
• Developing two draft regional directives on petroleum products specifications (gasoline and diesel) and on vehicle emission limits.
The services of the Consultant firm are structured into several types of activities at various levels, including to:
The selection procedure will be based on Consultant’s Qualification and the selected Consultants firm will be invited to produce Technical and Financial Proposals which will serve as the basis for negotiation for the conclusion of the Contract Agreement.
The ECOWAS Commission now invites eligible consultant firms to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested consultant firms must provide the following information showing that they are qualified to perform the services:
I. Collect and analyse data from the downstream oil sector particularly the refinery and fuel supply system in the region as well as supply sources, flow of supply and the petroleum products demand and identify the major challenges. The consultant may collect data from ECOWAS Member States or regional organisations such as United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), African Development Bank (AfDB), World Bank, African Refiners Association (ARA), African Petroleum Producers’ Association (APPA) etc.;
II. Collect and analyse data on the evolution of vehicle fleet in the region and identify its impact on air quality;
III. Establish in the fifteen (15) ECOWAS Member States the baseline of specifications on fuel grade, particularly diesel and gasoline as well as vehicle emission standards. These specifications may be compared and analysed using international best practices;
IV. Review and harmonise, if necessary, AFRI standards set up by ARA and propose vehicle emission limits suitable for the regional environment which meets international best practices;
V. Briefly evaluate the cost benefits of the implementation of the AFRI specifications and emission limits proposed in ECOWAS Member States;
VI. Propose measures and actions to support existing refineries and Member States in the implementation of new specifications and their financial impacts;
VII. Develop a harmonised framework which will be presented to ECOWAS Member States. This framework shall indicate a target horizon, and an action plan and implementation strategies ;
VIII. Prepare regional directives on harmonized petroleum products specifications and vehicle emission standards in the ECOWAS region.
The study shall be conducted by a Consultancy firm that shall have two experts with the following profiles:
• A Head of team (1), specialist in hydrocarbons process with a minimum level of Engineering degree (BAC+5) (Petroleum, Chemistry, Petrochemical or equivalent) with 15 years’ experience in refinery operations, in a refinery or international or national oil company, consulting form or government. He/she must have a sound expertise in similar study in the ECOWAS region as well as in the definition of policy and strategy in the hydrocarbon sector and particularly the downstream sector.
• Environmental Consultant (1), Must be a holder of an Engineering degree in Environmental or its equivalent (Doctorate, Masters in Natural Sciences, etc), good knowledge of environmental, air quality, vehicle motorization, with proven experience in similar studies (minimum of 1 mission) in the ECOWAS region. The consultant must also have 10 years’ experience as an Environment officer in an international or national company, consultancy firm or government.
• They must be fluent in English or French with a good knowledge of the other language (reading, writing and speaking)
• Brochure and description of the fields of competence of the firm
• List of staff and expertise of the consultants for the assignment
• The firm should have on its team, members with either one or two of the official languages of the ECOWAS Region, which are English, French or Portuguese;
• List of verifiable technical references similar to this assignment: list of previous clients and contacts for this type of assignment stating the year and the cost of the assignment;
• The Office Address (location, contact, BP, Telephone, Fax, e-mail).
Interested consultant firms may obtain further information at the address below during office hours: Monday to Friday from 9.00 am GMT+1 to 5.00 pm GMT+1.Plot 101, Yakubu Gowon Crescent, Asokoro District, P. M. B. 401 Abuja Nigeria or by E-mail to the following addresses: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
NB: The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Article 87 of the ECOWAS Tender Code (“Infringements by Candidates, Bidders and Awardees”), setting forth corrupt or fraudulent practices in competing for or executing a contract. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment as per Article 17. (h) of the ECOWAS Tender Code.
Expression of Interest (1 original and 3 copies) must be delivered in sealed envelopes and clearly marked “RECRUITMENT OF A FIRM TO CARRY OUT THE STUDY ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF A REGIONAL FRAMEWORK FOR THE HARMONISATION OF FUEL GRADE AND VEHICLE EMISSION STANDARDS IN THE ECOWAS REGION”, Do not open except in the presence of the Tender Committee” to the address below latest by Thursday May 04, 2017 at 11.00 am (GMT+1).
The ECOWAS Tender Box is located in the Office of the Commissioner for General Administration & Conference, 5th Floor ECOWAS Commission, Plot 101 Yakubu Gowon Crescent, Asokoro District, P. M. B. 401 Abuja Nigeria.9.
Please note that electronic submissions are not accepted and will not be evaluated.
Commissioner, General Administration & Conference
SEE FULL LINK TO THE AD: CLICK HERE